Old September 18th 03, 10:28 PM
patrick timony

OK, how long before we can employ this in homebuilt aircraft?

Dan, U. S. Airforce, retired

I wouldn't recommend it, as flutter is a BIG problem with flexible
wings, tails, fins, etc.

The safety issues outweigh any performance gains here for a homebuilt --
especially for a high-performance one.

I think flexible winged craft could be safer. A really flexible and
evenly-tapered wing, gradated from high to low density toward the
core, would bend to allow its force to be spread over a large enough
area to keep the force constant. A wing suit with both arm and leg
wings would enable a person to "run" through the air, except that the
motion would be closer to doggy paddling. Flying would be easier than
scrambling up a flight of stairs on all fours. See the
"SphericonWing" design at my webpage:
http://patricktimony.tvheaven.com/photo3.html

Patrick Timony