Old July 7th 16, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default CAUTION Wake Turbulence

On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 8:06:25 PM UTC-4, wrote:
As more & more pilots are aquiring self-launching or touring motorgliders they may find themselves flying from fields with private jet or tanker traffic.

Last weekend I was taxing my ASH-26e out to take-off from end of 34 at Minden. Most gliders are towed off of 30 so this usually isn't even an issue but because the 34 runway is so long many choose to self-launch mid field. I was taught you can't use the runway behind you & since I have to warm my engine before I take off, I used the time to taxi to the end of the runway..

About a minute before I reached the end of the runway, a Gulfstream landed on 34. As I taxied into position for take off, the Gulfstream was clearing the active runway. I proceeded with my take off roll and as I accelerated to about 45 kts, my left wing was slammed to the ground. Almost as quickly as this happened, I got the wings level and was airborne shortly thereafter. Obviously, I didn't think to wait a bit after the Gulfstream had landed but I hate to think what might have happened had I just gotten airborne!

Although we are all aware of wake turbulence, a valuable lesson was reinforced, fortunately without serious consequences.

I remember seeing a video of a Lear that was flown about a mile behind a 747 and it was rolled 360 degrees.