Old July 22nd 16, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default CAUTION Wake Turbulence

"Basically, you can avoid it by using ONLY the part of the runway that
the big guys are on the ground (they need a lot of it, so it shouldn't
be hard)."

Thanks, but I received my training in the US Air Force and I have
experienced wake turbulence in the real world. I have flown jets from
the T-37 to the B-727-200, recips from a Cub up to the Be-95, and the
King Air, and have flown out of grass, gravel, DFW, O'Hare, LAX, etc.

Still I think this was a good discussion which helped inform those who
don't know and refresh those who do. And don't forget, if the big guy
is on the ground and his nose wheel is off the ground, he's still
generating a pretty big pair of vortices.

On 7/21/2016 10:44 PM, 2G wrote:
On Thursday, July 7, 2016 at 9:23:33 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Thanks for the measurements and, yes, I was up at least 100' by the
intersection (having departed from the end of the runway). Right
turnouts are not appreciated, however, by the sky divers who descend
east of the airport.

On 7/6/2016 12:35 PM, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Thursday, July 7, 2016 at 3:51:02 AM UTC+12, Dan Marotta wrote:
Is 34 so much longer than 30 at Minden?

I was there last month in my Stemme and used the time to taxi to the end
of 30 to warm up the engine. I wonder, however, about departing 30
shortly after a heavy aircraft has departed on 34. You might very well
intercept his wake somewhere near the intersection of the two runways.

Thanks for the reminder about wake turbulence! It's not much of an
issue at Moriarty, though a few weeks ago, we had a lot of helicopters
working the big fire to the southwest. They were very thoughtful about
their operations and did not impact us other than occupying the man
taxiway on the west end. I think that was a price worth paying!
The heavy on 34 has 1000m to the intersection, you on 30 have 800m. (both measured on google maps, not paying attention to any runway markings)

I'd assume they'd be barely rotating my the intersection, and possibly well after it. You on the other hand are probably a few hundred feet up by then? If so, then no possible problem.

You could always turn right to 000 or beyond as soon as you're off. That should be able to be completed well before the intersection.

--
Dan, 5J

If you take small airplane instruction wake turbulence avoidance is drummed into you. If you haven't had this instruction, because you have a glider license and buy a MG, this may come as a very rude introduction. Basically, you can avoid it by using ONLY the part of the runway that the big guys are on the ground (they need a lot of it, so it shouldn't be hard). Taking off from the numbers, however, can be problematic.

Tom

--
Dan, 5J