Old September 17th 19, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Act now before your wings are defaced

On Tuesday, September 17, 2019 at 1:11:42 AM UTC-7, wrote:
If a Canadian invented basketball while in the USA, it’s still a CANADIAN invention. Admittedly the peach basket had a solid bottom and play was delayed while someone climbed up to get the ball back. Pablum, pagers, walk-in talkies, telephone, electric wheelchairs, Java, insulin, pacemakers, iMax film and projectors, green garbage bags, Canadarm...so many things, and now women’s tennis at the US Open...19 year old Bianca Andreescu devours Serena Williams in straight sets. Snowmobiles. Screech. Health care for all, Nanaimo bars. The Avro Arrow. Paint rollers. Peanut butter. WonderBra. Pacemakers...I repeat for effect.

Of more interest to pilots.... Canadian Reginald Aubrey Fessenden was a prolific inventor in the area of wireless technology — he was the first to broadcast on the AM radio band in 1900 — although he's often regarded as an unsung hero in Canada because his inventions in radio technology were outshined by Italian inventor Guglielmo Marconi. Fessenden built two-way radio transmission towers — one near Boston and the other in Scotland — and issued the first transatlantic radio broadcast in 1906.

My favorite?...

The jockstrap hard cup. Imagine, it took a CANADIAN to think up the idea of putting something protective between baseballs and yours. The entire remainder of Earth made do with an extra pair of underwear. We tackle the obvious, invent the less obvious and we improved the odds that superior genes demonstrated by the world’s elite athletes will go forward for the millennia unscathed. Never again would a 105 mph slider eliminate the Mickey Mantles and Christian Yelichs from our great grand children.

Even then we got creative and invented the hard cup for faces of goalies so genetic good lucks would also mutate. We plan ahead. We live up here on a chunk of ice free of sharpies and therefore we cannot sketch ourselves into a better world. Although the Group of Seven thought they sketched a better world. We actually do good ****.

I’m proud of my country and glad we live next door. Keep your friends close. And your enemies closer. Kidding. We need your protection. So we pray you will not build a northern wall, nor will you extend your southern wall to keep us from trekking north to California too. Sharpies can do that.

Over, eh? (Trivial aviation inserted shamelessly to remain on topic in RAS.)

Now that’s been settled, Kim Kardashian announced yesterday she replaced all sorts of medications with CBD oil. Raved about it for mood and anxiety. Now where I live, for me to cross the border and fly up to California, I am screened by CBP...your folks at the border inside Toronto’s airport. “Have you ever used marijuana?” And if answer, yes, I used in college for a month... I am flagged as permanently banned from the USA. Grass is legal in all of Canada and Washington State, Oregon and California, but if a Vancouverite answers yes en route south to get back to California’s grass, he or she is banned for life. Sharpies can make that happen.

You can eliminate Kim Kardashian now if she can be lured to Vancouver.

Wait, how can Tommy Chong ever see the real Rockie’s and get home?? Easy... he was born here, we let will always him in and out.

Just saying.

Eh?

Dearest Bob: Several items stand out from your free thought association on RAS. First of all Canadians invented the cup to protect their balls, but it took another 70 years to consider a helmet for the head on top is important too! Second, troops that burnt down the White House were British regulars just off the Boats from Europe. The British general whom lead this raid was killed three weeks later by an American sniper in Baltimore. Forget Greenland, let's sharpie Canada, as the fifty-first state and name it Trumpland.