Old June 14th 20, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default STD Libelle Restoration Reccomendations

On Saturday, June 13, 2020 at 7:33:48 PM UTC-4, Scotty Tobin wrote:
On Saturday, June 13, 2020 at 8:46:00 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 11:31:43 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Hello All,

I recently bought a Standard Libelle and would like some guidance/recommendations/ideas/etc if you guys would be so kind. Below is basically a list of things I would like some help with and the overall status of the glider as it sits.

1) Recommendations for epoxy, primer, and polyurethane topcoat brands.. I see a lot of recommendations for a PPG Durathane but I haven't found a source for buying the real stuff. I plan on sanding down to the first hint of green glass and building the glider up.
2) Any of you libelle owners have a spare canopy or a mold laying around? Or any other libelle parts...
3) Panel wise, the glider already has a mechanical and total energy vario. I have space for 2 more gauges, but don't plan on adding any of the fancy stuff unless I find a spectacular deal. Might remake the panel as it is a little scrappy as it is.
4) Any ideas?

Anything is appreciated. I am new to the airplane ownership club.

Happy landings,

Congrats on your new ship. I'm on my second Std Libelle project.
First- seriously consider refinishing. This is a big job and many are abandoned out of fatigue and frustration. About 1/2 a day into the project the standard comment is "there must be an easier way to do this". There isn't. It takes a lot of hours. We've done this a bunch of times and take about 400 hours to do a refinish.

Have you done or found anyone's turbulator placement for the top and bottom or is that something that's better to do the actual experimentation for placement. On either of your rebuilds have you gone with the wing fairing? I am considering that if the performance is worth the work.

I don't have the data on turbulator placement but I recall that it was reported to be a good improvement. Possibly the Libelle group site has it.
I have installed wing root fairings and winglets on a customer ship. Both improved performance and handling. The root fairings make the flow over the tail better and help tracking a good bit.
UH