Old February 21st 08, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
K l e i n

Default 2008 SSA Convention Details ???

On Feb 20, 8:16*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:
I wrote up a brief summary of what interested me, available hehttp://www.mindensoaringclub.com

Flarm in the USA is just a matter of time, they basically announced
their intent to enter the USA market and are talking to potential
dealers, etc.

Darryl

On Feb 20, 5:54 pm, Tim wrote:

Come on now, what where some of the highlights from this year's
convention for those of us stuck at home for various reasons. With no
convention next year, there should have been a lot of "new" stuff.
Usually RAS is full of post-convention

Some information I would love to hear about would be....

How'd the Flarm/ADS-B forum go?
Extreme Performance/Sinha De-turbulator update?
Duckhawk update?
Anything else of interest?

Really, anythign will do...

EY (sitting here with Baby...)- Hide quoted text -

A couple of years ago I was PIC on a Citation descending into Reno.
ATC called out glider traffic. Me and my co-pilot were looking hard
but didn't see anything until......I saw it at my 9 o'clock, my
altitude, about 200 yards away. Too dang close!!

This makes me think that the only workable long term solution is that
gliders need to be doing the same thing everybody else is. Thus,
FLARM is a dead end. But hey, it's cheap and doesn't really hurt
anything. ADS-B does about the same thing but eventually everyone
will be doing that so that is where we need to end up. Meanwhile,
look for a lite, cheap, low-power, small transponder to use along with
a ZAON.

I attended the second half of the session Wednesday afternoon (late
arrival) and didn't hear anything that made me change my mind about
the above.

K l e i n