Old December 10th 07, 10:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
nobody[_2_]

Default Tax bill of $26,000 for flying into US state of Maine?

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message

How is this possible? Both Massachusetts and Maine have 5% use tax. If
he is a resident of MA, then he has already paid his sales tax to MA.
Regardless of where his residency is, how could ME ask for that same
tax? If he is from a state where there are no sales tax, then I could
see a point to this argument.

Massachusetts stopped charging sales tax on aircraft a few years ago. Maine
only charges it if the plane is purchased less than 1 year ago. I paid Mass
Sales Tax on mine, and have had it over a year, so they won't charge me.