Old July 16th 14, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Default An archive of Flight Logger files of glider accidents?

Great idea. I could not agree more.

On Wednesday, July 16, 2014 10:06:24 AM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
Why don't pilots archive flight log files of accidents (and close calls and dumb mistakes) at a 'members-only' site and convert them to replay files?

There are a few cases of log and video files being shared,lessons being learned, and perhaps a few accidents have been averted. The people who have done that have been applauded. I conclude that this is productive and that it should be standard operating procedure.

Sure. The same mistakes are made over and over again, but maybe that has something to do with how we process accidents and how we don't learn from our mistakes. I wonder if there is a better way to learn from accidents and whether the prevalence of loggers, GoPros, and the internet opens up some new possibilities.

I've told my family to make logs and documentation available if I'm not around to do so. Why is that kind of advance directive uncommon? I think that an archive of files like that will be valuable at some point in the future.