Old January 20th 08, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
309

Default GPS interference and contests

On Jan 17, 7:53 pm, CindyB wrote:
I raised the discussion to IGC level,

snip
I can have world class weather, military airspace permission and IGC
approved recording devices, and have a data file that is worthless
for
record documentation.

So, yes, we have tried for contingency planning. They work, within
the US.
And yes, your SSA airspace and technical folks ARE trying to serve
glider pilot interests in the larger sense.

Cindy Brickner

Is it worthwhile for us to keep carrying cameras and barographs to
have ammunition that might convince IGC that this IS an authentic
concern? Or maybe ask the Navy to jam GPS near a European contest? :-

I agree, the baro part of the logger SHOULD be uninterrupted, making
the more painful camera operations critical in showing the case to
IGC.

I hope that we're not becoming "Logger Cripples" (unable to function
without GPS, Logger, SeeYou, etc.). I'm planning to keep flying with
my backup Replogle and camera -- but then I'm semi-old-fashioned and a
1-26 driver (some read that "masochist"). Isn't the chief function of
the camera to validate rounding the turnpoint (second being
documenting the declaration)? Several years ago, the 1-26 Association
Sweepstakes did away the requirement that turnpoints be "photo
friendly" (i.e., the turnpoint had to be a feature that could be
recognized by photo, leveling the playing field for those that used
cameras instead of GPS's). Similarly, it was just recently that the
1-26 Championships REQUIRED GPS for the contest, mainly in a bid to
reduce the costs (both time and money) generated by film development.
Years ago, my camera & barograph saved my Diamond Goal flight when I
fat-fingered an error in the lat-lon of the first turnpoint for the
logger declaration (though I'd still whine about the Volkslogger's
"comfortable DOS interface").

Many contest and world class pilots have recommended carrying TWO
loggers, for the eventual day when one of them fails. Unfortunately,
in the Jammed GPS environment, one "failure" would render both loggers
unusable (especially at the turnpoint). We as pilots should be able
to see this -- matching the out the window expectation with the GPS
indicated arrival of the turnpoint.

Even though I'm a 1-26'er, I enjoy the training and entertainment
value of loggers and software...and the compelling and "crippling"
moving map display on the PDA. As the seminar title suggests, "help,
my GPS sucked my brains out!"

Thanks for carrying the torch to IGC, even if they're pooh-poohing the
issue.

-Pete