Old February 14th 12, 12:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

Default New Butterfly Vario

On Feb 14, 2:08*am, Max Kellermann wrote:
Mike wrote:
XCSoar has an artificial horizon? I did not know that.

Yes:

*http://git.xcsoar.org/cgit/master/xc...enderer/Horizo....

The code has been there for many years, but is disabled, the comment
says why. *(Not my opinion/decision, I would not put artificial limits
on technology used by XCSoar)

This code will be reinstated when Johnny (and the rest of the
OpenVario project) finishes his new vario design, which includes a
real AHRS. *The OpenVario project started long before Butterfly
announced their vario, but since it's a spare time project of a few
soaring geeks, it takes a bit longer.

Max

I want to point out that the rule against artificial horizons et al is
not just a USA rule. From the FAI Sporting Code which governs most non-
US contests (and the upcoming WGC in Uvalde):
"No instruments permitting pilots to fly without visual reference
to the ground may be carried on board,
even if made unserviceable."

As Eric pointed out, this rule has been in force for decades and it
did not just appear at random. It was found over time that it was more
of a benefit to safety than a detriment. Make your own conclusion
about the willingness of competitors to cloud-fly.

QT