Old June 5th 19, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Default It pays to be selfish

On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 4:28:00 PM UTC-7, Mike N. wrote:
I just insured with Costello through SSA.
It's about 10 percent or so more to bind coverage that allows others to use your glider.
They do require a CFIG cockpit checkout for the pilot using the glider prior to being flown.

A lot can depend on glide ratio and things like complexity. A SLSP may not be something the insurance company will let others fly even if they leave the engine alone.
Seems there is a break point at which there is no "open pilot clause", and additional pilots cost additional money.

All this also depends on what you think a good deal is! If you allow another pilot to fly your glider and they allow you to fly theirs, seems to me a very good deal. Many find allowing a junior pilot to fly is a good deal.

If Ripacheco1967 and a friend bought a glider and each paid 1/2 of the insurance, maintenance, tiedowns, etc, that would be good too.
Jim