Old June 6th 04, 06:56 PM
John Kunkel

"Jim Weir" wrote in message
There have been a few questions in this ng lately about a "major

overhaul". We
all have TSMOH (time since major overhaul) as an annual inspection

calculation
in the logbooks.

Let's say that I tore an engine down to the last lockwasher, inspected

each
component by whatever approved standard I wished, replaced each part that

did
not meet service limits with an approved part, reassembled the engine in
accordance with approved data and techniques, ran the engine up and

checked each
parameter for proper operation (oil pressure, temperature, fuel flow,

etc.), and
returned the engine to service.

Could I sign off that engine as a "major overhaul".

Probably not. The work, if it to be signed off as a "major overhaul" must

be
done in STRICT accordance with the manufacturer's overhaul procedure.

And then you get into the old argument about the word "major" and whether
the use of that word constitutes a major repair needing a 337.