Old January 12th 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Overhaul of 180HP Lycoming 0-360-A4M in a Skyhawk (C-172)

Andrew Gideon wrote:

Should we get our engine overhauled, or swap it for a previously overhauled
engine?

If downtime is crucial, you can get a faster turnaround on an engine swap than
overhauling your engine. When you swap, you're taking pot-luck on the case,
crank, and cam. If your case, crank, and cam are known good, you might want to
hang onto them. If they're suspect, you might improve yourself by taking pot-luck.

If we do overhaul, is "to new specifications" the only reasonable choice?

Yeah, I think all the field-overhaulers do that anyway. You won't really find
anyone offering anything less. You might be able to choose whether to overhaul
the cylinders or replace with new. The price might be pretty close either way.

Is there a difference of significance between "factory rebuilt" (zero-timed)
and "overhauled to 'new specifications'"?

Yeah, only the factory can zero-time an engine. IMO it's not technically any
better than any other overhaul, and might be not as good. It will cost you more.
You'll get a brand-new fresh logbook (whoopee!). If you're looking to sell, some
uninformed buyers might place a premium on a zero-timed engine.

Any recommendations for shops for the overhaul (or shops to avoid)?

Sorry, I don't know the shops in your area. Ask all the nearby FBOs where they
send their engines for overhaul. Probably there will be a consensus. Pick a shop
nearby. Warranty service by long-distance telephone is a PITA. Much better if
you can get the plane to the shop (for warranty service).

Finally, I'm confused about the process. Does one shop remove/replace and
another actually do the engine work? Or does the plane need to be flown to
the shop that either does the overhaul or has the engine to swap?

You can do it either way. If you have a local shop do the R&R and ship the
engine to the overhauler, you will pay shipping and the cost of crating the
engine. OTOH, you'll be building a relationship with your local shop that might
prove valuable later.

Dave