Old January 12th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Overhaul of 180HP Lycoming 0-360-A4M in a Skyhawk (C-172)

Dave Butler wrote:

Marco Leon wrote:
I thought Lycoming was charging back for bad cranks and cams?

Any overhauler is going to deny the core charge if the parts are
unrepairable.

I think I understand that "core charge" is money paid for the value of the
engine after it is removed. I think what you're discussing above is
Lycoming failing to pay this value for engines they receive [in certain
cases]. Yes?

How does this "core charge" impact my overhaul? If I choose to overhaul my
engine, does it play a role? If I choose to buy an engine off the shelf,
then I suppose this "core charge" is what I get for returning my existing
engine?

[...]
I don't know whether field-overhaul shops are still accepting welded
cases, or if they've followed Lycoming's lead.

Ah, so one question to ask is "if I buy an engine from you, what will you
give me for my engine"?

- Andrew