Old January 13th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Overhaul of 180HP Lycoming 0-360-A4M in a Skyhawk (C-172)

Andrew Gideon wrote:
Dave Butler wrote:

Marco Leon wrote:

I thought Lycoming was charging back for bad cranks and cams?

Any overhauler is going to deny the core charge if the parts are
unrepairable.

I think I understand that "core charge" is money paid for the value of the
engine after it is removed. I think what you're discussing above is
Lycoming failing to pay this value for engines they receive [in certain
cases]. Yes?

Yes.

How does this "core charge" impact my overhaul? If I choose to overhaul my
engine, does it play a role? If I choose to buy an engine off the shelf,
then I suppose this "core charge" is what I get for returning my existing
engine?

The core is calculated separately for case, crank, and cam. The quote you get
for an overhaul assumes all are repairable. If they are not, then you will pay
the core charge.

[...]

I don't know whether field-overhaul shops are still accepting welded
cases, or if they've followed Lycoming's lead.

Ah, so one question to ask is "if I buy an engine from you, what will you
give me for my engine"?

The usual assumption on price quotations is that you are trading in a repairable
case, crank, and cam. But, yes, of course, ask.

Dave