Old January 13th 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Overhaul of 180HP Lycoming 0-360-A4M in a Skyhawk (C-172)

Maybe a related question.
How to make the decision to actually DO an overhaul/replacement?
In some cases it is exceedingly clear - lots of metal in oil, oil usage,
cylinders blown, etc.
But what about the high time engine that is otherwise working just fine?
Compression good. Oil clean. not burning excessive oil.
Due to a prop strike, my lycoming IO360 was torn down at 1300 hours. Since
it was in pieces, we did more than a 'normal' sudden stoppage inspection.
Bearings, cam recondition, rings, etc etc.
Engine is now at 2400 hours (2000 tbo). Runs fine. No change in oil
consumption or fuel consumption. Good compression. Do we wait for bad stuff
to happen, or be proactive. Frankly, I am concerned about taking an engine
that 'ain't broke' and either overhauling it or replacing it and ending up
with problems when today I don't have any.

any advice on how to know when 'It's time'?
"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...

I'm the "plane lt." for a skyhawk, based in northern NJ (KCDW), that's
getting ready for its engine overhaul. What should we do with it?

I'm curious what others have done, and how its worked for them. I've been
doing some of reading of articles, but it's raised more questions than
answers. Questions I do need, but I'd also like some of those answers.

Questions bouncing around head include:

Should we get our engine overhauled, or swap it for a previously
overhauled
engine?

If we do overhaul, is "to new specifications" the only reasonable choice?

Is there a difference of significance between "factory rebuilt"
(zero-timed)
and "overhauled to 'new specifications'"?

Any recommendations for shops for the overhaul (or shops to avoid)?

Finally, I'm confused about the process. Does one shop remove/replace and
another actually do the engine work? Or does the plane need to be flown
the shop that either does the overhaul or has the engine to swap?

For others asking similar questions, here's some of what I've read:

http://www.mattituck.com/new/articles/ohterms.htm
http://www.avweb.com/news/maint/185049-1.html

http://www.aviation-consumer.com/arc...rt/4718-1.html

I've also looked through the forums on cessna.org, but I cannot relocate
what I'd previously found there.

Thanks...

Andrew