Old December 9th 03, 11:11 AM
Dave Eadsforth

In article , Tony
Williams writes
Dave Eadsforth wrote in message news:RvdnW4AriF1$Ew8+

I am sure that being able to fire just a pair of cannon selectively
might have been useful at times, but I have not come across an RAF gun
control that allowed this.

I guess that by firing all together you would maintain a better chance
of hitting a target, so when would selective fire be useful? MGs only
against soft targets (strafing troops?) and cannon for hard skinned
(vehicles and aircraft?). I have not come across any doctrine on this.

Perhaps Tony and Emmanuel might be able to comment further?

It's not a subject that I've really looked at, but I have a vague
recollection that Hunters could fire two Adens at a time, which was
usual in ground attack to conserve ammo

sensible option...

- they used all four in aerial
combat.