Old November 26th 05, 08:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default I want to build the most EVIL plane EVER !!!

"Darrel Toepfer" wrote

Theres one in Winnsboro, La. awaiting completion of a turboprop
conversion...

You know, I'll bet it would do well on a little pair of turbofans on a
couple of pods, a la Adam, too. I wonder how fast it would go?

***********************************
Continuation of reply, after some more digging around:

Seems that the turbo prop testing and conversion was being done on more than
one occasion. http://www.eaa1000.av.org/fltrpts/st50/st50.htm

***********************************
It looks as astronaut David Overmeyer was killed testing aft CG, and lost
control, in a spin. http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/rfovermyer.htm
NTSB report he
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001208X05368&key=1

It seems it had some nasty deep stall problems at aft loadings.

***********************************
More on Israviation's putting a PT-6A turboprop, working (at the time)
towards certification:
ST-50 1994 = 5pClwM rg; 500# P&W-Canada PT6A-135/7 pusher; span: 39'0"
length: 26'0" load: 1950# v: x/322/71 range: 1260; ff: 12/7/94 (p: Norman E
Howell) [N50ST]. Based on VK-30, Cirrus and Israviation (Israel)
collaborated on design and development.

**********************************

I don't know if the one you mentioned is related to any of the other
versions or conversions. At any rate, some interesting stuff.

Some questions I never found answers to we

Turbo prop version's speed?

Was it pressurized, in the original, or after the conversion?

I wish the others luck on the conversions. I do hope they do some
aerodynamics work on it, to make it better. (more safe?) It seems like the
inclusion of a spin chute would be helpful, although on a pusher, that might
be tricky.

--
Jim in NC