Old August 13th 03, 02:26 PM
Nick Funk

I don't have the luxuary of either radar or stormscope.
But I do have the "poor mans" stormscope, the old trusty ADF.
Always points where the lightning is.

Nick
PA28-180 'D'

Jay Honeck wrote:
Yesterday, as we were once again flying blindly toward unknown weather, Mary
and I lamented the fact that we'll never have radar on board our Pathfinder.
Too expensive to contemplate. Ditto with the "live uplink" stuff that's
just coming on the market.

So, I thought, why not adapt a marine radar unit to aircraft use? Checking
around on-line, it looks like you can get a pretty basic marine radar set up
for less than $2000 -- a tiny percentage of what "aviation" radar would
cost.

Anyone tried this in a home-built plane? What's the range of those units?
Installation?