Old September 15th 06, 11:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ian Donaldson

Default Which Project would be best?

G'day

Well I have a Rebel with a Rotax 100hp engine and couldn't be happier with
it. I thought of going with an O-235 but the extra weight of the engine and
propeller put me off the idea.

One of my friends had an O-235 in a Rebel and it went OK. but burned a lot
more gas for not much extra performance. His engine died at an inconvenient
time and he damaged the Rebel. He is now fitting a new O-320, but the costs
of a new engine (or even a rebuilt one) are beyond my budget.

My Rebel weighs in at 330 kilograms, cruises at 85/90k and burns less than
18 litres of standard petrol (gas). As long as I can shut the doors it will
fly with any amount of weight that I can put in it! Some of the other kit
planes are really limited to the MTOW, but that is not a problem with the
Rebel.

By the way I am 6'5", #300 and the Rebel accommodates me and a big friend
with ease.

regards

Ian Donaldson

..

I have looked long and hard at the Murphy Rebel as a project for a
LSA, but that bird is just a bit too heavy when using the O-235. If
someone could assure me that a Rebel could be put together using the
0-235 and keep the empty weight down to about 700 pounds or so, then I
might drift that way. (I want the O-235 because I believe I can build
one up for a lot less money that a Rotax 100 hp unit would cost.)

I have looked at the Zenith 701, but it is quite small on the inside,
(I am 6' 4", 220 lbs) and still uses the Rotax. It does have amazing
short field performance, but cruse is only about 80 knots or so.