Old September 17th 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Tim Hickey

Default Which Project would be best?

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 21:01:29 -0400, "Peter Dohm"
wrote:

I looked at the Continental O-200 that the company had on display at
OSH this year. If I recall correctly, they were planning on a weight
of "Under 200 Pounds" when the engine was ready for sale. And that
was with all the accesories. I think that they planned to put it on
the market in mid 2007. HOWEVER, I think that the target selling price
was around $19,000.
I was hoping to be able to overhaul a Lyc 0-235 for somewhere around 8
or 9 thousand.
I have heard that a 100 hp Rotax will set you back 18 grand for a
running engine. Anybody bought one lately?

However, Continental has been positioning their O-200 as an LSA powerplant,
with 100 HP and a stated dry weight of 170 LB. That's enough lighter than
the O-235 to make a serious look almost mandatory; and like the O-235 it
permits you to idle at a low RPM, both on the ramp and on the approach.

Although trivial for the LSA category, both the O-200 and O-235 and
qualified for night and IFR when equiped with an appropriately approved
propeller. .

Peter

Zenith CH-300 Driver.