Old July 21st 08, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Default Garmin 430 question

wrote:
I verified that it works in both the 430 and 430W trainer. I can't imagine
the 530 trainer(s) would be programmed with different logic than the 430's.
As a shortcut, you can insert the user waypoint name (as long as it is
unique--in my example it was "PD270") in the desired spot in your flight
plan and the unit will prompt you whether or not you would like to create a
user waypoint. After pressing YES, it will take you to the user waypoint
creation page.

Once you hit ENT, the unit will fill in the distance value automatically
since it already has two datapoints.

Hope this helps.

Marco

You got me wondering whether the 530W did user waypoints differently, so
I downloaded the 530W manual.

Page 136:

"To create a new user waypoint by entering its latitude/longitude position"

Page 137:

"To create a new user waypoint by referencing an existing waypoint"
This procedure uses radial/distance from the existing waypoing.

Page 138:

"Creating User Waypoints from the Map Page"

Also on Page 138:

"To capture and save your present position as a user waypoint"

Page 139:

Two options for modifying an existing user waypoint:

"From the User Waypoint Page, use the small and large right knobs to
modify the position coordinates of an existing user waypoint."

"You can modify the location of an exist-ing waypoint by changing the
reference waypoint and/or by changing the radial and distance"

Finally, Page 140:

"With the radial (RAD) field highlighted, use the small and large right
knobs to enter a new radial from the reference waypoint"

There is nothing on any of these pages about how to create a user
waypoint using the intersection of two radials.