Old July 21st 08, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Default Garmin 430 question

Marco Leon wrote:
"Sam Spade" wrote in message

You got me wondering whether the 530W did user waypoints differently, so I
downloaded the 530W manual.

Page 136:

"To create a new user waypoint by entering its latitude/longitude
position"

Page 137:

"To create a new user waypoint by referencing an existing waypoint" This
procedure uses radial/distance from the existing waypoing.

This is the page on 137. The manual is probably referring to a VOR as a
waypoint. #4 states: "Use the small and large right knobs to enter the
identifier of the reference waypoint. The reference waypoint can be an
airport, VOR, NDB, intersection or another user waypoint. Press ENT to
accept the selected identifier."

If you look at the note in the next column on page 137 it states, " The
second reference waypoint field (REF WPT) is a temporary reference only -
not a reference that is stored with the user waypoint. You may also use this
in conjunction with the first reference waypoint to create a position using
the intersection of two radials."

Marco

I missed that note. But, that note is somewhat different in the 530
manual because not reference is made to creating a position using the
intersection of two radials.

So apparently this radial/radial option was a new feature in the WAAS
series.