Old July 21st 08, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Default Garmin 430 question

Sam Spade wrote:
Marco Leon wrote:

"Sam Spade" wrote in message
news
Marco Leon wrote:
I missed that note. But, that note is somewhat different in the 530
manual because not reference is made to creating a position using the
intersection of two radials.

So apparently this radial/radial option was a new feature in the WAAS
series.

The functionality is in the 530 (A) but it's not explicitly stated in
the old manual. There is a note in that section but the statement
about using two radials to create a user waypoint is not there.

Marco

Thanks for your help.

Indeed it does work in the 530 trainer. I guess I was hung up on the
reference waypoint changing after I created the intersection. The
handbook says that doesn't matter, which of course it doesn't. ;-)

The 530 and the 530W created a slightly different position for the
intersection of V-264 and V-137.

And, the official FAA position is slightly different than those two. The
difference is reasonable for an en route airway intersection. I
wouldn't want to be designing IAPs using this method, though. ;-)

Intersection of V-264 and V137:

FAA:

34 05 49.9
116 54 33.8

530:

34 06 02.0
116 54 50.7

530W:

34 06 01.9
116 54 50.2

It would be interesting to construct this waypoint at a location with a
different mag var than the location I used and see if that would affect
the device's calculation. Next time.