Old April 13th 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

Default Question for the real pilots

File the NASA report...

But for what it's worth... even on ATC vectors for a climb, if she did not
say the magic words.. and you as PIC did not ask... PIC is to blame.

would you like a phone number to the Nellis Watch Supervisor?
BT

"C Booth" wrote in message
I was flying out of VGT last month (North Las Vegas) heading back to
SLC in an Aztec after a great round of Golf. After getting VFR
clearance from ground to MMM (Mormon Mesa Vortac) which is ENE of
Vegas. Cleared for takeoff and given a heading from the tower, then
handed off to Nellis aproach. The controler gives me heading and asks
intention and sounds like she has marbles in her mouth. I ask her to
repeat instructions and finally get her instructions read back. I am
squawking a descreat code and continuing to follow instructions from
Nellis getting vectored out of the way of inbound F-18's and even a
B-2. All of a sudden out of the blue she calls me and asks me if I
have class B clearance. I gulp hard a couple of times, in all the
vectors and hand offs I realize that I have not received clearance...I
fess up and say noooo. She says "Well, you're right smack in the
middle of Class B airspace". That's it, no instructions. I say,
"Well..., can I get clearance now, or do you want me to go somewhere?"
She gives me the clearance. Whew, first time that has ever happened
to me. I am usually very careful not to bust airspace. Needless to
say I was embarassed but in other instances where I have been vectored
into Class B, such as in this instance, I have always been given the
clearance. I know that it is my responsibility to get the clearance
before flying into the airspace, but if they are giving vectors to
penetrate the airspace, are they at fault as well? Maybe I should
file a NASA report just to be safe, what do you think?

Just thought an aviation based thread might be good for the group.

Cbooth
SEL MEL Instrument