Old February 23rd 18, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Hero emulation

On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 2:06:50 PM UTC-8, Tom wrote:
Can I just ask a basic question here - what is the purpose of the "low pass" and how does it further or add to the flight?

Thanks Tom

Hi Tom: Low passes can be fun to fly and are exciting to watch. They also have potential to end up very badly. I once did a low pass 20-30 years ago at Minden and pulled up into severe down air. That was not as much fun, never done a low pass on wave day again. One must always fly within your skill set and energy is life for a glider pilot. One burns a bit of energy in a low pass so you had better know what you are doing.