Old August 4th 03, 07:43 PM
Jay Honeck

This was a different OSH for me... the first year with kids in tow.

Boy, John, you sure nailed that on the head.

I remember coming to OSH in the early 80s, just Mary and me riding a
Kawasaki 750. (Brought my first propeller home lashed to Mary's backrest on
the bike!) We could walk, and walk, and gawk, almost running from plane to
plane. I was a pilot wannabe, and Mary was fairly indifferent to flying --
boy did that change!

Then, along came the kids. First in the back-pack, then one in the pack and
the wagon -- then BOTH in the wagon. We were suddenly able to only cover
25% of what we could once see, and the show became totally different for us.

Now, at 9 and 12, the pace is picking up again. Soon, they'll be able to
run from plane to plane, and I'll be too old and tired!

Life is a river, eh?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
"john smith" wrote in message
My kids and I had a great time at the North 40 Festival 2003.
Sorry I didn't join everyone at Friar Tuck's, we had just come from
dinner at the Hilton prior to arriving at the party.
I enjoyed meeting everyone. I wish that Colonel Jim had been in
attendance so we could have "roasted" the non attendees.

They
enjoyed KidVenture, the Beluga and the NASA building, but didn't have
any patience for the "Dad stuff". My son had his first Polish sausage
and kept asking to go back for more.
The worst thing that happened was my daughter losing her bandana in the
Wright Flyer tent. That took alot of consoling to bring her out of her
depression. I was fortunate to be at my campsite when the windstorm hit
on Tuesday afternoon. I managed to get the tarp off my wing before it
got whipped to shreds. I learned my lesson last year and bought the
heavy duty, reinforced eyelet model this year. I need to get a bigger
one for next year.
Jay had a good location in front of the Hilton... perfect for displaying
the Alexis Park Inn banner.
WalMart should fire the real-estate person who moved the store two miles
down the road. Why anyone would give up sales in the middle of summer
that probably outdo Christmas is beyond comprehension. Target reaped the
gain, selling out of sleeping bags, tents, and coolers and restocking
quickly.
I did things differently this year. Instead of sleeping bags, I brought
fleece blankets and sleeping pads. This worked really well and required
less space in the airplane. The bulky item was the stove and propane
tank. It was heavy and took up space, but it paid off when it came to
cooking meals and cleaning up. Fresh food was purchased from Piggly
Wiggly each afternoon following the airshow.
We walked the length of the flightline, from "North Fond du Lac" to the
Warbirds. Wednesday, the airport was full!
Looking at what was on the field Sunday night, I didn't think attendance
would be as good as it was. Monday and Tuesday brought alot of arrivals.
The rains which began Tuesday afternoon and continued each afternoon and
evening thereafter, lead to many premature departures Thursday, Friday
and Saturday. My tent, clothes and campsite stayed dry throughout as I
was on the high ground.
I need to point my airplane the other way next year so I can see the
runway from under the tarp. It's the small touches that make the
difference.