Old February 20th 07, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RNR[_2_]

Default Garmin 196 battery connection?

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 17:37:30 -0800, C J Campbell
wrote:

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 06:57:04 -0800, RNR wrote
(in article ):

I have owned a 196 for about four years, without any serious concerns.
Last week, I encountered a problem that is serious. While the unit
works fine on aircraft power, it will not function on battery power.
It will turn on but it will shut itself off within 30 seconds. This
happens every time. Has anyone experienced this? Do I have any
chance of rectifying this without sending it back to Garmin? Thanks.
RNR

I would also say bad battery contacts, or one or more of the batteries is
backwards. You can clean the contacts with a pencil eraser.

Thanks to all for the replies. I have tried multiple new batteries
and I have also cleaned the contacts. In addition, I have bent our
the "tang" on the positive side and inserted small pieces of heavy
paper between the coils of the springs on the negative side because
two of the batteries felt loose. I'll revisit these issues again. I
hope that I can resolve this without dealing with Garmin. I've had
two relatively minor issues with this unit. Both times I contacted
Garmin via email and never received a reply. Both of my problems were
soved in this forum. Thanks again.

RNR