Old January 31st 18, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Default Hard Deck

He's reviewing all traces on a thunderstorm day to see if anyone logged a little unauthorized IFR time ............yes, this happened! I reported it, but nothing was done and by the end of the week at least 4 guys did it...........I know because they told me they iced up!
Sorry about my little rant, I feel much better now,
JJ

Cloud flying isn't a big deal for those, like me, who learned to fly in Britain and South Africa where it is permitted. I still do it occasionally when safe to do so.

Here in the USA, my observation in contests is that no-one observes required FAR minima around clouds - in a strong thermal every pilot will keep climbing until their upper wing disappears into the wispies. I have seen many pilots enter cloud, including climbing into them, flying through them, over them and round them! Although against the rules (and possibly dangerous) it is almost never punished.

Perhaps the rules committee could come up with a formula to deal with this little problem (a challenge for our dismal scientist!).

Mike