Old January 31st 18, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

Default Hard Deck

At 02:15 31 January 2018, Michael Opitz wrote:

George Moffat and the sailing crowd have always proposed to drop
both the individual pilot's best and worst days because "that's what
they do in sailing". You might be able to do that in a Grand Prix
format where each day counts the same. I don't see how we can do
that as long as we have devalued days. A pilot can be a day winner
on a very difficult 600 point day, and be forced to drop his
day win because all of the other contest days weren't devalued,
even though he had another day where he only got 850 points
compared to that other day's winner?

Please tell me how you propose to make that fair?? I can't see it
being done without a total overhaul of the scoring system.

RO

I have never understood why a difficult day gets devalued. Seems to me that
difficult days are a better test of skill.

Devaluation also has the effect that CDs try to set 3 hour tasks. Why if
the window is short?

Not devaluing days would remove some complexity and IMO improve
competitions!

Jim