Old August 21st 05, 02:21 AM
Kevin Dunlevy

You can expect good training and long hours. I've probably been to nearly a
dozen SAREXes. As a pilot, you need to complete Scanner training. If you
have 175 PIC hours you can begin training for Mission Pilot after you
complete your Scanner training. You don't have to do formal Observer
training, but you will need to learn how to use the CAP radio, ELT direction
finding receiver, and SAR GPS function. That equipment is often handled by
the Observer, but if the Observer isn't familiar with this equipment, you
will need to give the Observer instructions or operate it yourself.
Non-pilot Observers are generally less helpful with the CAP equipment and
navigation than pilot Observers. You will need to go to several SAREXes to
finish your Scanner and Mission Pilot training.

Long days searching grids low and slow in hot weather can be fatiguing. Be
sure to drink lots of water and carry some snacks in your flightbag. You may
need to open the cabin windows to cool off. The gray pants, blue polo shirt
uniform is more comfortable in hot weather than a Nomex flights suit.

The SAR GPS has tons of capability, so try to learn as much as possible.
Bumping around in thermals, twisting knobs and pushing buttons is the hard
way to learn, but maybe the most effective. Finding an ELT with the DFer and
wing nulling is an art more than a science, so try to fly with experienced
pilots to learn the techniques.

The number of sorties you have will depend on lots of things, like weather,
available aircraft and aircrews, scenario design and staff effectiveness.
It seems mission pilots are always in demand at SAREXes. I'd expect two to
four sorties during a full day SAREX, in addition to the inbound and
outbound sorties. There is also the possibility you will sit around waiting
for a sortie particularly at the beginning before the system is fully
functioning. While waiting for a sortie you can learn about SAR techniques
by hangar flying with other pilots. You can also use down time to learn the
paperwork, study the equipment and read training materials.

I really enjoy the formal and informal training I receive in CAP, and the
opportunity to use my flying skill to do some good. Kevin Dunlevy

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm going to be getting my form 5 this week and alreay have my GES.
What can I expect from a SAREX? How many missions would I expect to get
for a weekend long? I believe I need to first be an observer, can I get
enough observer credits to start mission pilot in one weekend?

Thanks!
-Robert, CAP newbie