Old August 22nd 05, 02:20 AM
Hotel 179

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm going to be getting my form 5 this week and alreay have my GES.
What can I expect from a SAREX? How many missions would I expect to get
for a weekend long? I believe I need to first be an observer, can I get
enough observer credits to start mission pilot in one weekend?

Thanks!
-Robert, CAP newbie

----------------------------------------reply----------------------------------------------------

Robert and Everyone,

You have some great answers already as to what you can expect. We have some
guys in our Wing that "have the tee-shirt" and they are wonderful to talk to
and to fly along with. Be sure to arrive before the general briefing so
that you can sign-in and find all your buds for a quick hello before getting
down to business. If you forget to sign-in then you are not covered by the
insurance plan so go there first. Be in uniform. This may sound like a
no-brainer but there have been instances when folks show up with variations
on the uniform not published in 39-1 and have to make arrangements in order
to participate.

Carry your 101 card, CAPID, sectionals, pen and paper for taking mission
notes. Since you are doing a Form 5, don't forget your 60-1 test score,
current 60-1, aircraft checklist and pilot data summary, current medical,
your ticket, proof of BFR and currency in passenger carrying as you'll be
PIC during the ride. If you are going to be flying to the mission base, be
sure to have the Form 71 filled out along with a 104 for the inbound leg.
As we often say, "We don't fly until the weight of the paper equals the
weight of the plane." Monitor the ELT practice frequency on the way there as
sometimes those sneaky planners want to see if you'll fly right over a
target and not pick it up.

Have a great time...

Semper vi.,

Stephen