Old August 17th 13, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

Default Absurdity of US Rules (in fairness to FAI)

At 14:35 17 August 2013, Papa3 wrote:
I have great pics from sitting in the wave at Mifflin at 10,000 feet (and
c=
limbing) while about half the fleet is still on the grid. It was a bit
of=
a fluke that I and one or two other guys got into it, as the one big
therm=
al that happened to go high enough to get into the wave showed up at just
t=
he right time/place.

So, suppose this was okay in the rules. Two of us have a 6,000 foot
advan=
tage on a 3kt average day, or a 20 minute head start on a 3 hour task.
We'=
ve won the day before the gate ever opens. =20

While I don't subscribe to the idea that everything has to be perfectly
fai=
r, I don't believe that this sort of luck should be so heavily rewarded.

=
I think there's a balance between trying to over-engineer fairness and
no=
-holds-barred. =20

P3

Which is exactly why I suggest that there should be a restriction on the
maximum height before the gate opens. After the gate opens you can climb
to/ start from any height. Don't forget to do away with the start cyclinder
and use a proper D sector with a start line.