Old November 13th 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Cessna Service Bulletin SEB94-8

Newps wrote:
Dave Butler wrote:

wrote:

We just had our annual done on our 172E, and there were cracks found in
the forward horizontal stabilizer spar.

You won't find it online. Cessna charges for everything. The
fix involves either stopdrilling the cracks if they haven't reached the
spar flanges and monitoring it every 100 hours thereafter, or taking
the stab off and having a doubler rivetted into it. The doubler is by
far the better fix but costs a lot more; the stab has to come mostly
apart.
Check with the Cessna dealer. he might print off the
belletin for you.

Time to stop sitting on the stab to raise the nosewheel for maneuvering
on the ramp... ;-)

We've done two stab doublers here, and have two more low-time
172s whose stab spars aren't cracked yet because we now forbid pushing
down on the stab to turn the airplane.

That's the factory reccomended procedure in the Bonanza.

That might be OK for the Bonanza (the stab might be reinforced
for it) but it's asking for expensive trouble on a 172.

Dan