Old November 14th 07, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

Default contest number question

I got caught at Parowan this year, also. my defense was; "Everybody
knows who's flying the only Genesis in this contest". That didn't work
and I was forced to put on numbers using a Crayon. Another guy put his
numbers on using wing tape...........................White wing tape!
Probably not a bad rule except for a couple of glaring problems. If
the numbers are there purely for recognition in a gaggle, shouldn't
they be oriented to be read from the rear, not from the front? Also,
we can only identify those above us in a gaggle, how do we identify
those below us?...........................lets not go there, I used up
all my Crayons!
JJ

it - is anyone aware of any contest where not having a contest number
under the wing has been an issue? With GPS scoring, I'm betting this is
a moot point.

TIA

Gary

At Region 9 in Parowan last year, the CD penalized several violators
of this rule on safety grounds. In a gaggle, you need to know who's
above you. Some creative mods were made with insulating tape.

Mike