Old March 19th 05, 10:27 PM
Blueskies

"cavedweller" wrote in message ...

"Corky Scott" wrote in message
I received the following from an acquaintence. Don't know how

many
have read it but I found it interesting.

Corky Scott

***Begin Quote***
What made an Airbus rudder snap in mid-air?

When Flight 961 literally began to fall apart at 35,000 feet, it
increased fears of a fatal design flaw in the world's most

popular
passenger jet

David Rose
Sunday March 13, 2005
http://www.observer.co.uk/The Observer

Well Corky, I was pretty impressed. Seems not to have received
too much attention from anyone including the media. I googled up
this http://www.ipilot.com/forum/message.aspx?pid=96092 and there
are photos represented as those of the Airbus. Wondering if it's
for real...

Pretty crazy, huh? First an AA A-300 'looses' its entire vertical tail and crashes. The pilots and the training program
gets blamed because the pilots were too aggressive on the controls - below Va no less. Now this happens. Makes me wonder
what would have happened if the failure occurred during takeoff at low speed with TO power applied. Glad these folks
made it through...

Also, need to settle something. The A-300/A-310 flight controls are not FBW, right? I know there is a yaw damper, but
they use 'conventional' controls. IIRC, the Airbus FBW started on the A-320...