Old May 24th 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Is there a "correct" panel layout?

On 22 May 2006 19:58:13 -0700, wrote:

Why do I look at the tachometer?

I check the rpm at run-up to see if the mag causes excessive rpm drop;
to see if carb heat is working; during take-off run to make sure the
engine is producing full power.

Yep, no problem here, I do the same, common sense if one follows the POH on
the before take off list as the tach is an integral part of analyzing
engine performance.

I have a set rpm that I use for cruise
climb and another rpm setting when going in a long descent; once in the
pattern I set the rpm so that I'll bleed off the altitude as I go
around the pattern. I do look at the tach more often than the vertical
speed indicator.

Why not use the throttle lock? Once you set it, you forget it.

Personally, only time I really care about my RPM's is on my descent on an
ILS approach, where I set it to 1900, and slide down the glide slope.

Some adjustments on the RPM may be warranted based on need for more power
on headwind considerations, but once I establish the approach and have it
stabilized, the 500 fpm on the VSI is is the glide slope, my descent is not
based on RPMs as that may change based on wind considerations.

Tach time would also be useful for computing endurance, (much more
reliable than the gas gauges), but where it is placed makes the numbers
difficult to read.

Once you determine a burn rate based on RPM, I do agree, but for my basic
everyday enroute cruise, unless I notice a change in performance that
requires more power to hold level flight, I don't even think about looking
at the RPMs.

For impending problems, the tachometer is rather worthless, so I do
scan oil temperature, oil pressure, CHT.

and other then on ground analysis, or possible inflight mag check, or carb
icing considerations or fuel burn rate as you brought up, for basic flying
needs, the tach really doesn't need to be a part of your instrument scan.

Allen