Old July 18th 18, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]

Default Cobra trailer aluminum vs fiberglass top

On Tuesday, July 17, 2018 at 11:45:04 PM UTC-7, Gavin Short wrote:
At 18:27 17 July 2018, Craig Funston wrote:
On Tuesday, July 17, 2018 at 11:00:30 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Tuesday, July 17, 2018 at 11:45:05 AM UTC+1, Ken Payne wrote:
At 09:38 17 July 2018, krasw wrote:
I haven't ever seen metal top Cobra that requires painting. I have

never
seen glass top that doesn't.

Do Cobra offer a paint finish on their fiberglass tops. If not why

not?

Very good question!

I've been considering a wrap to refinish my fiberglass top. Does anyone
have experience with this option?

Thanks,
Craig

Craig,

I have an Aero-works 'Rikki' trailer. There weren't many made. The top is
aluminium and is 'wrapped'. The prine options, in terms of ascending cost,
were roller paint, film wrapped, and spray booth painted. I went with the
wrap option as it seemed easy to care for and any damage could be repaired
by me by simply cutting out the damaged wrap and replacing that section. I
took delivery of the trailer in summer 2014 and the wrap is holding up well
(the trailer winters in the club hangar).

f.i the aluminium roof is not insulated but has a solar vent and
ventilation exhaust grilles at the back of the trailer (hidden by the
trailer number plate). No condensation problems ever encountered (as yes
it does rain in the Eifel national park in Germany).

Gavin
Std Cirrus, G-SCNN, #173
SFV Südeifel, Utscheid, Germany

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't priced the wrap out yet, but it does appear to be an attractive option.

Best regards,
Craig Funston