Old July 31st 07, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Davis

Default I weigh 255 pounds... am I disqualified from this sport?

At 02:30 31 July 2007, Bt wrote:
Most German built gliders such as the Grob 103 have
a per seat

limitation of
242#.
But again they may only have a useful load of about
400# for both

seats
combined.

The US built SGS 2-32 should be your glider of choice.
Many single seat gliders have Max pilot weight limits
around 200-210#

such
as the SGS 1-36 or 1-34.
Other single seat glass birds, if you can fit you can
fly.

You could easily fit in a Genesis 2. The cockpit is
large enough,
the wing spar is far stronger than other single seat
and probably most
two seat sailplanes and it has a Cleveland main gear
which can handle
hard landings such the one below which probably would
have destroyed
any other glider. You can buy one for about 25 K less
than the price of a
comparable standard class glider.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYDdEjloYJ0