Old June 5th 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Default Gliders in the Grand Canyon

buttman wrote in
oups.com:

On Jun 3, 8:59 am, Richard Riley wrote:
On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 15:05:06 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

If there were no airspace restrictions, would it be possible/safe to
fly gliders in the Grand Canyon? There's not much of a place to
land in the canyon, of course, but I don't know if there are
thermals or something (?) that would allow a glider to climb back up
out of the canyon after gliding below the rim. Is it possible? Has
anyone done it?

I know. I learned to fly in gliders and flew right seat many times
in a sight-seeing Twin Otter at the canyon.

I won't tell you. From what you've posted previously, you'd only use
my answer as a starting point to insult me, belittle my experience
and claim I don't know what I'm talking about.

OK then, if him asking the question bothers you so much, then how
about if I asked?

If there were no airspace restrictions, would it be possible/safe to
fly
gliders in the Grand Canyon? There's not much of a place to land in
the
canyon, of course, but I don't know if there are thermals or something
(?)
that would allow a glider to climb back up out of the canyon after
gliding
below the rim. Is it possible? Has anyone done it?

And you still call yourself an instrucor?

You should burn your instructor ticket. do it now.

Unbelievable.

Bertie