Old October 18th 03, 01:03 AM
BTIZ

Im looking to buy one of the Elite or ON TOP IFR simulators. If I wanted
to just buy the software and not the full stack could I still log the 10
hours toward my Instrument rating.

NO

Or would I be able to buy the
avionics stack the peddles and yoke off EBAY, and still get the logable
10 hours. Or do I have to buy the packages form AVstore or King. Does
anyone have these. Please tell me how you like them and are they worth
the money. I was also going to charge to let people that come from the
local FBO (make a few bucks back). Anything would help.

Thanks Tony

I do not believe that a PC based IFR simulator as you described can be
counted towards the training.. CFR61.4 .. it must be approved by the
administrator.

And from the FAQ file on CFR61.4..
QUESTION: What is a PCATD?

ANSWER: The terms PCATD stands for a "Personal Computer-Based Aviation
Training Device." It is a personal computer-based simulation package that
consists of flight simulation software and hardware which has been
determined to meet requirements as approved by AFS-800 and outlined in
Advisory Circular (AC) No. 61-126, "Qualification and Approval of
Computer-Based Aviation Training Devices". This AC No. 61-126 establishes
acceptable criteria under which instrument aeronautical experience gained in
a PCATD may be credited toward an instrument rating.

QUESTION: What is the regulatory authority for the use of a PCATD?

ANSWER: Ref. §61.4(c); which states "The Administrator may approve a device
other than a flight simulator or flight training device for specific
purposes."

QUESTION: What is involved in gaining FAA's qualification and approval of a
PCATD?

ANSWER: A manufacturer who desires to gain qualification and approval of a
PCATD prepares and submits a PCATD Qualification Guide for the device
representing specific single-engine and/or multiengine airplane modules in
accordance with the guidance outlined in AC 61-126. This Qualification Guide
is evaluated by AFS-800 to determine its acceptability in meeting the
applicable parameters stated in the AC 61-126. If the PCATD is found to be
acceptable by the desk audit, an on-site evaluation of the device is
conducted. When the PCATD is found to meet the requirements of AC 61-126, a
letter is issued by AFS-800 that states the PCATD's qualification and
approval of replicating specific airplane modules. Any significant changes
made to the PCATD's software/hardware combinations or the addition of
airplane modules by the manufacturer requires submission of an updated
Qualification Guide that must be further evaluated and approved by AFS-800.