Old February 21st 08, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

Default Post-Annual Flight

On Feb 21, 3:34*pm, Jay Maynard
On 2008-02-21, wrote:

I never use the fuel gauges for anything other than
passing reference, since we do everything by visual inspection and the timer
in our Garmin GTX-327 transponder.

How do visual inspection or your timer tell you if you've got an in-
flight fuel leak? That's an important reason for the fuel-gauge
requirement.

How does a fuel gauge that's so unreliable that you can't trust it to within
a quarter tank tell you whether you've got a fuel leak?

Say you're expecting the tank to be two-thirds full, but the gauge
says it's one-eight full, and dropping fast. Then you should suspect a
possible leak, and land the plane quickly.

You're right that more-accurate gauges would be even more useful. But
that's no reason to ignore (or to illegally forgo) what limited
usefulness there may be.

I was taught to verify the tank's level on preflight, and use time and
consumption per hour to figure usage.

I was taught to do that AND to cross-check with the gauges, and to
trust whichever method gives the lower indication at the moment. I was
taught to check the gauges again when switching tanks, to make sure
I'm switching to the fuller one as expected. I was taught to check the
gauges when preparing to land, to make sure I'm using the fuller tank
and that it's not about to run out.

I was also taught not to fly a plane that's not legally airworthy.

But what matters isn't what you or I happened to be taught, but rather
what makes sense. Having and using working fuel gauges makes a great
deal of sense, for the reasons just given.