Old May 13th 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default MEA oddity near Harrisburg, PA?

In article ,
Greg Farris wrote:

In article f989g.18838$ZW3.12367@dukeread04,
says...

Why? Because they sometimes have a tethered
balloon and radar up looking at the drug smugglers.

Yes, but that's different from reception issues.
I think Mike's answer is probably closer - because the VOR is close to
the ridge, that gives rise to some seemingly wierd MEA's, without
anything untoward inthe MOCA. Puts a kink in your plans though, if you
weren't planning (or cannot do) 14000.

GF

Take a look at some of the airways in western CT based on the LGA VOR. The
MEA's make no sense based on terrain alone. I'm told the problem is that
the VOR is nestled in among the hangars and other buildings and the signal
suffers.