Old September 9th 05, 08:56 PM
Stan Gosnell

"jamin3508" wrote in
lkaboutaviation.com:

just wondering about this, dont get me wrong, I would NEVER attempt a
approach thats below mins. Just courious if its stated somewhere in
the FARS (I couldnt find it) about the approach to landing with below
mins WX.....thanks for the imput!

Part 135 and Part 121 takeoff and landing minima are given in the
operations specifications of each certificate holder. Generally the
approach minima are whatever is published, but it can vary. Our ops
specs permit flying an ILS with 1/4 mile vis (in helicopters) and
takeoffs with 'adequate visibility reference' from a runway, meaning with
whatever visibility allows seeing the runway during the takeoff. It's
generally higher for airplanes. We can take off with 1/2 mile vis from
offshore platforms, and fly the approach with 3/4 mile vis. We also
cannot fly an approach to any airport that does not have official weather
reporting, regardless of the weather.

--
Regards,

Stan

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin