Old July 23rd 07, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning
Jim Macklin

Default Need VOR indicator

Strange how many pilots never really study their AFM and all
the supplements.

That is why those silly PTS require applicants to
demonstrate the proper use of all the equipment installed.

"Blanche" wrote in message
| Blanche wrote:
| john smith wrote:
| (blanche cohen) wrote:
|
| For those of you upgrading and have excess
equipment....
| my VOR/GS/LOC indicator died and I'm looking for one
of the following:

| GI 106A
| KI 209
| ND 200-306
|
| It's got to talk to an SL30.
|
| Is this the same indicator you wrote about that would
not give the
| right/left indications on the ILS?
|
| Yup. After extensive talks with Salem, OR (home of
Apollo...er...GarminAT)
| the consensus is that the MC60 doesn't play well with too
many
| NAV/COM. So I'm going to move the MC60 to play with the
TKM MX12 (which
| means it *better* play well, since it's the same company)
and
| get one of the three above. According to the folks in
Salem, they've
| only tested it with these three and a Collins unit.
|
| And after playing with everything again, I've discovered
two interesting
| facts. One is documented in the SL30 user guide (and it
never sunk it,
| but then, I never needed it): when
| on backcourse, the VOR indicator is dark, which makes
sense,
| since it would be very confusing to have 2 indicators
going
| in opposite directions.
|
| The second, which I cannot find anything related in the
manual:
| I've discovered what appears to be to problem/solution to
not
| seeing the LOC on approach. I've had the 2nd NAV freq (the
| one on standby) selected to monitor the freq. This turns
the
| LOC off, yet keeps the GS active on the VOR indicator.
|
| so - the SL30 *does* play well with the MC60 afterall. I
just
| need to remember to NOT turn on "monitor 2nd NAV" while on
| approach. I've sent a note to Garmin/AT to ask if this is
normal