Old March 17th 15, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default In Flight Emergency

Yes, and I wear a chute when I fly my glider, but not when I'm giving
rides in a Grob, Blanik, 2-33, or Lark. Neither do I wear a parachute
when flying the tug and I've had four engine failures while flying tow
planes, in none of which would I have considered bailing out.

Does Poland really require parachutes in gliders? Are passengers with
no training required to wear a parachute? I wonder about the outcome if
one of them should attempt to jump.

On 3/17/2015 9:57 AM, Luke Szczepaniak wrote:
In some countries parachutes are mandatory in gliders (for instance
Poland where the OP is from). In North America they are not
mandatory. Most private owners, at least those I am exposed to,
choose to wear one. Most pilots flying club single seaters at my club
wear one. Most instructional flights are done done with out
parachutes. Acrobatic flights as well as standard spin training is
done with parachutes.

Luke

On 03/17/2015 11:43 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
What do you need a chute for? Most tow pilots are also glider pilots
and fully capable of landing an airplane without the engine running. It
would be pretty weak to jump out of a perfectly good airplane just
because the engine stopped which, in this case, it didn't until the
pilot shut it down.

On 3/17/2015 6:53 AM, Luke Szczepaniak wrote:
On 03/16/2015 6:57 PM, wrote:
No chute? Not required?

Not required in USA or Canada by law. Parachutes required in
competitions by the rules.

--
Dan Marotta

--