Old November 28th 20, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default PowerFlarm offers new Version, PowerFlarm Fusion Includes Manynewstandard Features!

Hi John,

I think most of your questions have now been answered by other people. Let me know if you have any other questions. You are correct that the PowerFLARM Fusions connectors are identical to those used on the PowerMouse.

I added the PowerFLARM Fusion to my web page this week and also updated my PowerFLARM Comparison table. my Fusion page includes bullet points describing the main differences between the Core and Fusion.
https://www.cumulus-soaring.com/stor...erflarm-fusion
https://www.cumulus-soaring.com/stor...arm-comparison

It will be interesting to whether the Fusion or PowerMouse will be more popular in the future. I have already received quite a few pre-orders for the Fusion. I don't plan to stock or ship it until after it receives FCC approval.

The PowerMouse has been extremely popular this year. I love how small it is and how it has 2 RJ45 connectors.

The Fusion's Wi-Fi and Bluetooth radios makes it possible to view a range analysis after the flight on an iPhone or Android phone immediately after a flight - which is cool. I also like the 3 additional tri-color diagnostic LEDs. They are only visible if you can access them, but they could be very helpful with troubleshooting.

The lack of a "trade-up" program has been (I think) worked-around by offering an introductory price for the Fusion which is $269 less than the regular price of $1795. Also, the good news for PowerFLARM Core owners is that there is a great market for used Core units and they can be tested and repaired with the latest Core boards for much less than the price of a new unit. I would think that a Core owner could sell their Core for $795 to $995 easily and quickly. That would make it much easier to upgrade to a Fusion - if desired. If the new owner has any issues with the old Core, it can be repaired to a like-new unit.

I'd have a tough time deciding between the PowerMouse and PowerFLARM Fusion.. They are both great products with the exact same in-flight functionality..

One last note - I have one new PowerFLARM Core remaining in stock for $1399 ($200 off) and will include a free logger altimeter calibration worth $95.
https://www.cumulus-soaring.com/stor...owerflarm-core

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

On Wednesday, November 25, 2020 at 12:11:40 PM UTC-6, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
I had asked these questions before but didn't see any response. Lets try again (with some of my own ANSWERS).

- The comment about "Hassle-free upgrade from PowerFLARM Core". What does this mean? Just "move the cables" and its plug and play? Configuration too? IT APPEARS SO.
- Or is there a trade-in discount program which to me is much more "hassel-free"? IT APPEARS NOT.
- The comment about "Updated antenna connectors — all screw-on". It appears that the PowerFLARM Fusion's A/B/ADS-B(1090) antenna connections are identical to the older PowerFLARM Core. Correct? Only the GPS antenna has changed (screw-in versus push-in)? UNANSWERED
- Are the antenna connections (A/B/ADS-B/GPS) identical between the PowerFLARM line and the LXNav PowerMouse? UNANSWERED
- Are the mounting holes identical between the Fusion and the Core? IT APPEARS SO.
- The overall dimensions appears to be identical between the new Fusion and the older Core. However, the LXNAV FLARM PowerMouse is 25%-40% smaller dimensionally and is 68% smaller in volume. JUST A COMMENT but these can be important considerations as we try to put 1000kg of stuff into a 100kg box (metric conversion applied).

My $0.02.

Thanks, John OHM