Old May 4th 04, 01:53 AM
Bill Denton

I'm afraid I'm at the end of the line on this one; this is where I'd usually
just head to the NAPA store and buy something!

But your Delco comment reminded me of something...

Years ago I needed some 1/4" plastic tubing for something, so I went down to
my local "seal and gasket" place. I told the clerk what I needed, and he
asked me if I wanted "medical grade", "aircraft grade", or "industrial
grade".

I asked him what the difference was between the various grades, and he told
me the "medical grade" was $1.20/ft, the "aircraft grade" was $1.10/ft, and
the "industrial grade" was $1.00/ft. I asked him what the actual difference
was. He told me to lean across the counter and he showed me the spool. It
had three different part numbers on it. The clerk told me that it was all
"medical grade"; they just charged different prices based on what grade you
asked for!

But I would recommend a bit more investigation before you bolt up the Delco!

"JFLEISC" wrote in message
Do you have a voltage regulator (either internal or external)? That's
probably where I would look based on everything you pointed out.

Oh yes, it definately has a voltage regulator. A BIG heavy one. (I never

saw a
'generator' with an internal regulator. Wish I could afford the alternator
STC). Admittedly its been some time since I worked on 'generator' voltage
regulator circuits. Any suggestions on what to look for? Are Delco Remy
aircraft regulators the same as the automotive versions for 1/3 the price?

Jim