Old December 1st 08, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default (USA) FAA airport database in Google Earth (KML) files

On Nov 28, 8:18*am, Tuno wrote:
I've had a report from one user whose computer changed the file name
to use .xml extension instead of .kml. If you have trouble, check that
your pooter didn't do the same.

Also I've placed a copy of the NASR's schema file for the airport
database in the web site he

http://www.justsoar.com/public/nasr_...pec/apt_rf.txt

You can browse the schema file and if you see any fields in there you
want to see in the .kml data (e.g. added to the popup description),
let me know. (The descriptions currently contain airport owner and
manager contact info and comm frequencies, when provided.)

-ted/2NO

Nice job Ted. Now all we need is a way to program it all into a PDA
so we can fly GPS approaches into any airport in the database -- or at
least be able to pop up a satellite photo (and eventually pilot-
provided approach and field condition pics - appropriately dated).
Would be a really cool community activity to add the pics.

On my 'puter the fonts and pushpins are so big that it is hard to read
the map. There is a global preference for the font, but not for the
size/style of the pushpin as far as I can tell. Any thoughts here?

9B