Old March 1st 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Alan Gerber

Default ATC Handling of Low-Fuel American Flight

John R. Copeland wrote:
And the DME is purely luxury, you know.
I've taken VOR cross-bearings with a single working VOR receiver.

The DME does make life a lot simpler, doesn't it?

On my checkride, the DE asked me to figure out our location after I came
out from under the hood. I used one VOR and the DME, and showed him our
position on the chart.

He challenged me on how I could do it with one VOR, but I explained about
the DME, and he seemed to accept the explanation. He didn't seem happy about
it, though. (I'm not sure if he had realized there was a DME in the
plane before I used it.)

.... Alan
--
Alan Gerber